The first time I heard of aquafaba I was like – aqua what now? I read that this was the liquid we drain from chickpea cans and can be used an egg replacement and even to make whipped cream!
I was majorly skeptical. Brine from a chickpea can used to make whip? Sounded kinda crazy to me.
But of course, since I love trying new things in the kitchen I had to try it for myself to see
So I did. And I was amazed! It was the coolest thing ever. This murky yellow liquid that was usually discarded became a light and fluffy foam.
However, as cool as this was, my first attempt at using it was… meh. I tried making chocolate mousse but made the mistake of using a chickpea can that had added salt and it made the entire mousse taste a bit off. So make sure you use a can that says “no added salt”.
Although it has trace amounts of nutrients it is a resourceful way to make dessert and decreases waste. It is low in calories, gluten free, and is a perfect alternative for those with an egg allergy (like my daughter).
I love using 1.5 ounce cups for portion control because all you really need is a few bites to satisfy your taste buds to enjoy this rich dessert.
The pomegranate seeds and cacao nibs give it the extra pop of flavor and texture it needs and makes it look super festive – perfect for a holiday table treat.
Do You Experience Holiday Food Guilt?
Learn to trust yourself with food & eat in a way that feels good to you – without the stress!
Say goodbye to guilt and make holiday eating joyful again.
Get the workbook!
Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse Cups
- ¾ cup Aquafaba (liquid from a 15 oz chickpea can – make sure it says “no salt added”)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 oz dark chocolate, melted (I tried 60% and 72%, use 72% if you prefer a more bitter chocolate flavor)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- For toppings: pomegranate seeds and cacao nibs
Directions (follow exactly for best results, every small detail makes a difference):
- Place aquafaba into a large mixing bowl. Make sure there is no grease or water in the mixing bowl as this will prevent it from whipping into stiff peaks Also, make sure the bowl is at room temperature!
- Add the lemon juice (a stabilizer for better whipping) and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form (5 to 10 minutes, depending on the power of your mixer).
- Set aside and make sure the aquafaba remains at room temperature – this is crucial to make sure the chocolate doesn’t seize up when you mix it in.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 30 second intervals (stirring in between) until smooth.
- Allow the chocolate to cool (do not use it when it is very hot). Fold in ⅓ of the aquafaba mixture into the melted chocolate and fold gently until chocolate is evenly distributed.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the rest of the aquafaba and keep gently folding until you get a smooth chocolate mixture. The volume of the whipped aquafaba will decrease a bit in size but as long as you are gently folding the mixture (and not vigorously stirring) it will be airy once it is ready.
- Optional: fold in 2 tablespoons maple syrup if you prefer it sweeter, but it is not necessary.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the chocolate mixture into 1.5 or 2 ounce serving cups.
- Place mousse cups in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Optional: top with fresh pomegranate seeds and cacao nibs. Enjoy!
More on the blog...
Apple Pie Cups I LOVE this time year. Not only does the weather get nice and breezy and the anticipation for boots, and scarves, and pumpkin, and all that is cozy is in the air - it’s also a month packed with action!!! And by action I mean holidays aka Rosh Hashanah...
Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats I can’t believe today is the last day of #RGNBreakfastWeek! I had such a fun time creating this for you guys. If you missed out on Breakfast Week - you can still get in on the action! Get my Recipe E-book: "Breakfast with Intention", ...
Carrot Cake Pancakes Hey, Friend! Breakfast Week over on Instagram has been so much fun this week! Have you checked your email yet? It’s Day 5 of #RNGBreakfastWeek and I’m talking all about mindfulness and setting intentions! I think this has to be my favorite topic...
Cherry Breakfast Smoothie Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it...
Mason Jar Omelete Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...
No-Bake Cereal Bars Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...