Ah! Rosh Hashanah is in 2 days and I don’t know about you but I’m hustling to get everything done this week. I’m working all week but I still made some apple galette this morning because I had to recipe test it just one more time. That means waking up before the kids got up a.k.a. 5.30 am. The lengths I go to for a good galette!
I swear, I don’t think I have ever recipe tested anything so many times.
Anyway, I’m loving on this galette. It’s sweet, but not too sweet, kind of like a breakfast pastry. I purposely cut down on the sugar. The crust is perfectly flaky and I love the cinnamon – reminding me that we are just about to swing into fall head on! Woot woot! I love fall weather and all the coziness it brings. And the foods in season are my favorite – apples, sweet potato, pumpkin… Can’t wait to create some more awesome recipe for you guys this season.
But for now enjoy this Caramel Honey Apple Galette which is perfect for the upcoming holiday!
And if you are making this recipe you have GOT to make the caramel to go with it.
Can you guess what the super nutritious ingredient is? K, I’ll tell you.. DATES! Super. Excited! So creamy and delish. You must try it! And let me know how you liked it when you do. Enjoy!
Caramel Honey Apple Galette
- 1.5 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil (must be cold and solid and not in oil form)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsps cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- Turbinado sugar
- 1 ¾ cups apples (about 1-2 apples depending on size), thinly sliced * I like using pink lady apples but granny smith works well, too.
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 tbsps)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp honey
- Place white whole wheat flour, coconut oil (make sure it is solid and not liquid form), sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor and blend until it turns to little crumbs. The dough will not come together at this point yet.
- Add cold water and vanilla extract and blend until a dough forms.
- Form the dough into a disk shape, cover in saran wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the filling…
- Slice apples into 4 parts and then thinly slice horizontally – it should look like thin triangles.
- Place apples in a bowl and toss with brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Add cornstarch and toss.
- Set apples aside and roll out the dough into a 10” circle. It should be about ⅛ inch thick.
- Spread the apple mixture in the middle of dough keeping it 2 inches from the edges.
- Fold over edges. Make sure there are no cracks in the dough so the juice does not leak out. Coat the dough edges in egg white. Sprinkle the entire galette with turbinado sugar.
- Bake on 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the honey over the center while still hot (on the apples only).
- You can enjoy it like this or take the extra step to make some nutritious caramel. Continue reading for the caramel recipe…
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup + 2 tbsps coconut cream
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
- Drizzle over galette.
- You can also use this recipe to top all your favorite baked goods, ice cream, and even toast. Enjoy!
More on the blog...
Apple Pie Cups I LOVE this time year. Not only does the weather get nice and breezy and the anticipation for boots, and scarves, and pumpkin, and all that is cozy is in the air - it’s also a month packed with action!!! And by action I mean holidays aka Rosh Hashanah...
Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats I can’t believe today is the last day of #RGNBreakfastWeek! I had such a fun time creating this for you guys. If you missed out on Breakfast Week - you can still get in on the action! Get my Recipe E-book: "Breakfast with Intention", ...
Carrot Cake Pancakes Hey, Friend! Breakfast Week over on Instagram has been so much fun this week! Have you checked your email yet? It’s Day 5 of #RNGBreakfastWeek and I’m talking all about mindfulness and setting intentions! I think this has to be my favorite topic...
Cherry Breakfast Smoothie Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it...
Mason Jar Omelete Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...
No-Bake Cereal Bars Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...