Ah! Rosh Hashanah is in 2 days and I don’t know about you but I’m hustling to get everything done this week. I’m working all week but I still made some apple galette this morning because I had to recipe test it just one more time. That means waking up before the kids got up a.k.a. 5.30 am. The lengths I go to for a good galette!
I swear, I don’t think I have ever recipe tested anything so many times.
Anyway, I’m loving on this galette. It’s sweet, but not too sweet, kind of like a breakfast pastry. I purposely cut down on the sugar. The crust is perfectly flaky and I love the cinnamon – reminding me that we are just about to swing into fall head on! Woot woot! I love fall weather and all the coziness it brings. And the foods in season are my favorite – apples, sweet potato, pumpkin… Can’t wait to create some more awesome recipe for you guys this season.
But for now enjoy this Caramel Honey Apple Galette which is perfect for the upcoming holiday!
And if you are making this recipe you have GOT to make the caramel to go with it.
Can you guess what the super nutritious ingredient is? K, I’ll tell you.. DATES! Super. Excited! So creamy and delish. You must try it! And let me know how you liked it when you do. Enjoy!
Caramel Honey Apple Galette
- 1.5 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil (must be cold and solid and not in oil form)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsps cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- Turbinado sugar
- 1 ¾ cups apples (about 1-2 apples depending on size), thinly sliced * I like using pink lady apples but granny smith works well, too.
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 tbsps)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp honey
- Place white whole wheat flour, coconut oil (make sure it is solid and not liquid form), sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor and blend until it turns to little crumbs. The dough will not come together at this point yet.
- Add cold water and vanilla extract and blend until a dough forms.
- Form the dough into a disk shape, cover in saran wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the filling…
- Slice apples into 4 parts and then thinly slice horizontally – it should look like thin triangles.
- Place apples in a bowl and toss with brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Add cornstarch and toss.
- Set apples aside and roll out the dough into a 10” circle. It should be about ⅛ inch thick.
- Spread the apple mixture in the middle of dough keeping it 2 inches from the edges.
- Fold over edges. Make sure there are no cracks in the dough so the juice does not leak out. Coat the dough edges in egg white. Sprinkle the entire galette with turbinado sugar.
- Bake on 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle the honey over the center while still hot (on the apples only).
- You can enjoy it like this or take the extra step to make some nutritious caramel. Continue reading for the caramel recipe…
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup + 2 tbsps coconut cream
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
- Drizzle over galette.
- You can also use this recipe to top all your favorite baked goods, ice cream, and even toast. Enjoy!
More on the blog...
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify I had a Youtuber make a hate video about my account to his 60K+ subscribers. People have said to me “I don’t get why so many people follow you.” A family member told me I’m not a ‘real’ dietitian if I’m not helping...
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify If you struggle with mindful eating - this podcast episode will be a GAME CHANGER for you! Chances are, if you’ve been on the dieting train for years, then everything you learned about mindful eating is wrong! In...
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify Do you feel like all of your struggles with food lead you to believing that you must have a food addiction? I get it. For years I felt the same! I felt like I must be addicted to food because who else would eat...
Ep 100 Setting Realistic Expectations to Heal Your Body Image Effectively & How to Use Negative Body Thoughts to Deepen Your Healing
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify Do you worry that if you have any thoughts of desiring weight loss you will not be able to heal your body image? Or worse, you might be undoing the progress you’ve already made? This was the fear my client, Amy,...
Ep 99 How to identify signs of early perimenopause, setting expectations of how long symptoms last until reaching menopause, and realistic nutrition tips to reduce perimenopause symptoms
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify You may have heard this before about a million times: “It’s NORMAL for your body to change!!'' But it also may not FEEL normal. Especially when your body is not only changing in its physical appearance - but also...
Ep 98 Are You Really An Emotional Eater? The 3 types of Emotional Eaters – How to Identify Which One You Are (or are NOT) & How to Effectively Stop
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify Maybe you're not an emotional eater in the way that you thought you were... I can't even tell you how many times a client comes to me saying she's an emotional eater only to discover through working together that it...