A few weeks ago I had a very clear plan. Make Energy Bites. Simple enough, right? But then, I have no idea how, I ended up with a Chocolate Banana Tartlet. Okay, I totally know how. I started experimenting with my energy bites, didn’t like how it was turning out, which is when I spotted my tart pan and thought: “why not just turn it into a crust?”. Okay, sure. Now it was crust.
But what do I fill it with? Clearly I hadn’t thought this through.
I started grabbing some things I had around that I thought would taste good together. I added a bit of this, a bit of that, and voila! A Chocolate Banana Tart was born. And it was so so good! I’ll admit I was pleasantly surprised at my spontaneous creation. It took some tweaking to get the exact recipe since I was made it up as I went along but I’m happy to say I figured it out and even more happy to be sharing it with you!
You know, sometimes we have a set plan in mind but unexpected things come along and seemingly “ruin” the original plan. But if we find ways to work with what we have, to move forward, to focus on what IS working, to make the best of it no matter what, you will end up right where you need to be.
The same goes for your health. When it comes to your health journey – it’s all about progress! Don’t worry about failing or if you didn’t exactly stick to the “plan”. Don’t waste time agonizing over a cookie “slip-up” or if you skipped your workout today. Instead, pay attention to the progress you make and the goals you are working towards. Take it step by step, even if you don’t have a perfect plan in place, to get you to your goal. Learn as you go, create one healthy habit at a time. It’s the journey and consistent progress that will get you there. Even if it’s not exactly how you planned.
Life lessons from a chocolate tartlet.
Chocolate Banana Tartlets
- 13 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 ½ cup cashews, roasted unsalted
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup coconut cream (the coconut milk from a can, full fat)
- 1 small banana (or half a large banana)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Line the bottom of mini tart pans that have a removable bottom with parchment paper. I used the bottom to trace on parchment paper and cut it out to fit. Don’t skip this step if you want to be able to take the tart out smoothly once it’s ready.
- For crust: place dates, cashews, coconut flakes, and vanilla in food processor and blend until all components stick together. About 2-3 minutes. Press mixture into lined mini tart pans. Set aside while you make the filling.
- For filling: place cream cheese, coconut cream, banana, and melted chocolate into food processor (make sure your cream cheese and coconut are at room temperature so that the chocolate doesn’t solidify and get grainy). Blend until silky smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour evenly into prepared crusts.
- Optional: style the top with sliced bananas and coconut flakes.
- Place in freezer for 2 hours.
- Dig in and enjoy!
- You can still enjoy this treat if you don’t like banana, just replace it with ¼ cup coconut cream.
- If you freeze it overnight, allow 10 minutes for it to thaw so you can easily dig into it and get a nice creamy bite.
More on the blog...
Ep 108 Where Your Food Noise & Inner Body Bully comes from and How to Find Healing Within Yourself with Robin Gutman LSCW
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify Living with an inner critic in your mind that relentlessly makes you feel bad about your body.. That tells you how ‘bad’ you are for eating a slice of cake… That convinces you that you're weak, a failure, and not...
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify In this episode Rachel covers: The difference between eating with freedom and eating with intuition (and why the 2 get confused) When food freedom can turn into impulsive eating and red flags to look out for...
Yom Kippur (the holiest day in the Jewish year, which is also a fast day) is coming up next week! Fasting used to bring with it so much food stress and chaos before and after the fast (restriction can do that to ya!) Today, my preparations for the fast and how I...
How to know if you’re eating intuitively or impulsively – know the difference and learn how to stop impulsive eating
“Intuitive Eating doesn’t work for me, I just eat all the things and it doesn’t feel good.” Have you been feeling this way or have heard someone say this when you share the Intuitive Eating approach with them? Then brace yourself for a lightbulb moment: You’re...
Have you ever said about your body "I feel fat"? But not in a loving way. In a mean, disgusted, and maybe defeated way? It's time to get to the root of your bad body image thoughts. Maybe it was that moment where you ate too much chocolate and groaned, “ugh! I feel...
Ep 106 3 Things I’d do differently if I were starting my business from scratch – this will accelerate YOUR success
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify The sooner you focus on the RIGHT things to build your business and work with dream clients, the sooner you’ll achieve that goal and live out your vision of success. Looking back, when I began my entrepreneur...