A few weeks ago I had a very clear plan. Make Energy Bites. Simple enough, right? But then, I have no idea how, I ended up with a Chocolate Banana Tartlet. Okay, I totally know how. I started experimenting with my energy bites, didn’t like how it was turning out, which is when I spotted my tart pan and thought: “why not just turn it into a crust?”. Okay, sure. Now it was crust.
But what do I fill it with? Clearly I hadn’t thought this through.
I started grabbing some things I had around that I thought would taste good together. I added a bit of this, a bit of that, and voila! A Chocolate Banana Tart was born. And it was so so good! I’ll admit I was pleasantly surprised at my spontaneous creation. It took some tweaking to get the exact recipe since I was made it up as I went along but I’m happy to say I figured it out and even more happy to be sharing it with you!
You know, sometimes we have a set plan in mind but unexpected things come along and seemingly “ruin” the original plan. But if we find ways to work with what we have, to move forward, to focus on what IS working, to make the best of it no matter what, you will end up right where you need to be.
The same goes for your health. When it comes to your health journey – it’s all about progress! Don’t worry about failing or if you didn’t exactly stick to the “plan”. Don’t waste time agonizing over a cookie “slip-up” or if you skipped your workout today. Instead, pay attention to the progress you make and the goals you are working towards. Take it step by step, even if you don’t have a perfect plan in place, to get you to your goal. Learn as you go, create one healthy habit at a time. It’s the journey and consistent progress that will get you there. Even if it’s not exactly how you planned.
Life lessons from a chocolate tartlet.
Chocolate Banana Tartlets
- 13 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 ½ cup cashews, roasted unsalted
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup coconut cream (the coconut milk from a can, full fat)
- 1 small banana (or half a large banana)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Line the bottom of mini tart pans that have a removable bottom with parchment paper. I used the bottom to trace on parchment paper and cut it out to fit. Don’t skip this step if you want to be able to take the tart out smoothly once it’s ready.
- For crust: place dates, cashews, coconut flakes, and vanilla in food processor and blend until all components stick together. About 2-3 minutes. Press mixture into lined mini tart pans. Set aside while you make the filling.
- For filling: place cream cheese, coconut cream, banana, and melted chocolate into food processor (make sure your cream cheese and coconut are at room temperature so that the chocolate doesn’t solidify and get grainy). Blend until silky smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour evenly into prepared crusts.
- Optional: style the top with sliced bananas and coconut flakes.
- Place in freezer for 2 hours.
- Dig in and enjoy!
- You can still enjoy this treat if you don’t like banana, just replace it with ¼ cup coconut cream.
- If you freeze it overnight, allow 10 minutes for it to thaw so you can easily dig into it and get a nice creamy bite.
More on the blog...
Apple Pie Cups I LOVE this time year. Not only does the weather get nice and breezy and the anticipation for boots, and scarves, and pumpkin, and all that is cozy is in the air - it’s also a month packed with action!!! And by action I mean holidays aka Rosh Hashanah...
Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats I can’t believe today is the last day of #RGNBreakfastWeek! I had such a fun time creating this for you guys. If you missed out on Breakfast Week - you can still get in on the action! Get my Recipe E-book: "Breakfast with Intention", ...
Carrot Cake Pancakes Hey, Friend! Breakfast Week over on Instagram has been so much fun this week! Have you checked your email yet? It’s Day 5 of #RNGBreakfastWeek and I’m talking all about mindfulness and setting intentions! I think this has to be my favorite topic...
Cherry Breakfast Smoothie Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it...
Mason Jar Omelete Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...
No-Bake Cereal Bars Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...