If you know me or have been following me on social media you know I have these energy bites on repeat. They disappear so fast every time I make them! Mostly because they are delicious, bite size, and I have to share them with my kids. Yes, I said “have to”. Ya know, gotta practice what I preach, sharing is caring and all. Just kidding! The fact that my kids love them fills my mom heart with joy because it’s always a win when they eat treats that nourish them at the same time.
I love having a batch in the freezer for when I come home from work and I’m hungry. We tend to reach for whatever is in sight when we are hungry so having something available in your fridge or pantry that will make you feel good makes life that much easier.
They also make a great post workout snack. The dates provides the simple carbohydrates and B vitamins you need to replete your body’s sugar stores (aka glycogen) and give you energy. The almonds give your muscles the protein they need to recover and repair themselves.
Classic Energy Bites
- 14 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 ½ cup roasted unsalted almonds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oz 72% chocolate, melted
- In a food processor place dates, almonds, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Blend until starts to all components stick together when pressed. About 2-3 minutes. (if it’s a bit dry add ½ a tsp of coconut oil at a time until it reaches desired consistency).
- Form into 1 inch balls and place on lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy!