Dried Fruit Compote Topping
I’ve been putting this dried fruit compote topping on everything this past week. Yogurt, oatmeal, pancakes… It adds all the sweetness you need + all the flavor.
Dried fruit seem to have gotten a bad rep. I’ve heard on more than one occasion that dried fruit isn’t “good” because it has a lot of sugar.
True, dried fruit does have sugar in it. But it’s natural sugar. There is a big difference between naturally occurring sugar and added sugar. The body processes them differenlty. Dried fruit also provides your body with important nutrients such as potassium, iron, magnesium, flavonoids, and fiber.
In fact, dried fruit may help lower risk of cardiovascular disease with it’s lowering blood pressure effects. So please, don’t be scared to enjoy dried fruit.
Dried fruit are easy to grab and go, making them the perfect snack on busy days. They are also great for satisfying a sweet craving.
Some things to note about dried fruit:
- Make sure to buy unsweetened dried fruit to avoid unnecessary added sugar.
- Dried fruit can count toward the daily recommendation of approximately 3 servings of fruit per day. However, given it is condensed, it is a smaller serving. A serving of dried fruit is about ¼ cup, while fresh fruit would be ½ cup or 1 cup (depending on the fruit).
- If you are a diabetic, it’s best to consume dried fruit with a source of fat and/or protein to slow the absorption of the sugar. For example, have 4 dried apricots with an ounce of nuts or string cheese.
This recipe is perfect for Tu Bshvat, the Jewish holiday that celebrates the new year of the Trees. I made sure to include figs, one of the seven traditional fruits to eat on Tu Bshvat.
I’ve paired it here with plain yogurt as the dried fruit compote provides lots of sweetness, while boosting the overall nutrient content. So make sure to get plain yogurt.
Don’t limit it to yogurt, though. Try it on your pancakes, oatmeal, and even on some rice or chicken! It really works with everything so go crazy with experimenting. Enjoy!
Dried Fruit Compote Topping
- ⅓ heaping cup dried mission figs, chopped
- ⅓ heaping cup dried apricots, chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries (raisins work, too)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Place all ingredients into a small saucepan
- Bring to boil for 6 minutes
- Lower flame and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the water has decreased by one third.
- Cool completely and chill at least 2 hours. This will allow the flavors to settle and the juice to thicken a bit.
- Enjoy on yogurt, pancakes, oatmeal… the choice is yours!
More on the blog...
Apple Pie Cups I LOVE this time year. Not only does the weather get nice and breezy and the anticipation for boots, and scarves, and pumpkin, and all that is cozy is in the air - it’s also a month packed with action!!! And by action I mean holidays aka Rosh Hashanah...
Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats I can’t believe today is the last day of #RGNBreakfastWeek! I had such a fun time creating this for you guys. If you missed out on Breakfast Week - you can still get in on the action! Get my Recipe E-book: "Breakfast with Intention", ...
Carrot Cake Pancakes Hey, Friend! Breakfast Week over on Instagram has been so much fun this week! Have you checked your email yet? It’s Day 5 of #RNGBreakfastWeek and I’m talking all about mindfulness and setting intentions! I think this has to be my favorite topic...
Cherry Breakfast Smoothie Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it...
Mason Jar Omelete Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...
No-Bake Cereal Bars Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...