You know fall is near when figs are in season. And I couldn’t be more excited!
I love everything about fall. The excitement of the new school year, the change of weather – omg fall weather is the best! – and knowing that Rosh Hashana and Sukkot are right around the corner makes it one of my favorite times of the year. I love that I have days to look forward to that will include lots of family time, socializing, and delicious holiday dishes.
Speaking of Rosh Hashana, juicy figs were always a staple at our table the first night of Rosh Hashana. I remember as a kid I couldn’t wait for the meal to start so I could devour them!
I guess it was a good thing I loved them so much since figs are a great source of fiber, providing 7 grams of fiber per serving (approximately 6 small figs). That’s about 25% of daily fiber needs for women and 18% for men. Fiber is well known for it’s beneficial impacts on heart health and supporting a healthy gut.
Figs are also a good source of vitamin A and vitamin K. Vitamin A is needed for healthy skin and eyes and plays a key role in cell division.
Vitamin K is important for bone health and is necessary for proper blood clotting – so that your cut stops bleeding and can begin to heal.
Other than figs being a healthy snack choice they are also a super tasty food choice! I can seriously eat a container full of fresh juicy figs straight up. And they also pair fabulously with both sweet and savory foods.
In this recipe I combined them with sweet potato, goat cheese, and Ah-May-Zing balsamic reduction! You can turn these into beautiful and classy appetizers or have them as a satisfying breakfast “toast” ( just slice the sweet potato lenght-wise instead of across). These are super delicious and nutritious! in whatever form you eat them! Get the recipe below.
Fig and Goat Cheese Sweet Potato Rounds with Honey Balsamic Reduction
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 fresh figs
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar (make sure the lable says “vintage” and not “light”)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Bake Sweet Potato: Slice sweet potato across into ½ inch circles. Place on baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking oil.Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make Balsamic Reduction: Place balsamic vinegar and honey into a small saucepan and bring to boil. Once it reaches a boil, lower the flame and simmer for 10-15 min, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and coats the back of your spoon. The longer you simmer it the thicker it will get. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn. Remove from stove top. *
- Spread goat cheese on each round.
- Top each round with sliced figs.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and enjoy!
* You can store balsamic reduction in the fridge for later use. It will get very thick and sticky once it’s cold and you may not be able to drizzle it. Just pop into the microwave for 15 seconds and it will loosen up and be perfect for drizzling.
More From the Blog...
Apple Pie Cups I LOVE this time year. Not only does the weather get nice and breezy and the anticipation for boots, and scarves, and pumpkin, and all that is cozy is in the air - it’s also a month packed with action!!! And by action I mean holidays aka Rosh Hashanah...
Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats I can’t believe today is the last day of #RGNBreakfastWeek! I had such a fun time creating this for you guys. If you missed out on Breakfast Week - you can still get in on the action! Get my Recipe E-book: "Breakfast with Intention", ...
Carrot Cake Pancakes Hey, Friend! Breakfast Week over on Instagram has been so much fun this week! Have you checked your email yet? It’s Day 5 of #RNGBreakfastWeek and I’m talking all about mindfulness and setting intentions! I think this has to be my favorite topic...
Cherry Breakfast Smoothie Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it...
Mason Jar Omelete Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...
No-Bake Cereal Bars Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...