Whenever I have extra time in the morning I love a good pancake breakfast. Now, since those mornings are rare, I usually make a big batch and then freeze them in individual servings so I can enjoy them for the rest of the week without all the prep. Pancake weeks are the best! No matter how busy my mornings are I feel like I got to enjoy a lavish breakfast but all I had to do was defrost some pancakes, throw on chopped fruit and sour cream, and boom! Breakfast of champions!
I love experimenting with pancakes and toppings. My oatmeal pancake recipe is a tried and true recipe I’ve been making for ages so I wanted to have fun with the topping. Since I’ve never had rhubarb outside of a store-bought bakery pie (best pie of my life btw) I thought why not get creative with it. I used my usual blueberry sauce recipe and replaced the blueberries with frozen rhubarb. And that was when I discovered I’m a genius. Because it is delicious! A perfect balance of sweet and tangy.
Let’s talk about rhubarb a minute, though. Rhubarb is actually a vegetable. It’s really sour in it’s raw form so it is usually eaten cooked and mostly found in desserts like pies. It is an excellent source of vitamin K which is important for bone health and blood coagulation – a fancy word for saying it plays a role in making sure your blood clots properly. If your blood doesn’t clot properly you would basically bleed out anytime you got a cut. It is also a good source of fiber.
You can enjoy this Rhubarb sauce as I did, on pancakes. Or mix some into your yogurt or on some toast. Whichever way you have decide to eat it you’ll be sure to enjoy it!
Breakfast with Intention
Make your mornings energizing, intentional and delicious!
Recipes + Intuitive Eating & Breakfast Tips!
Oatmeal Pancakes with Rhubarb Sauce
- 14 oz. frozen rhubarb, defrosted
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- ½ cup sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ cup oat flour *
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Place rhubarb, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, sugar, and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to come to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Mix together cornstarch and ¼ cup water in a separate bowl until well combined and there are no lumps. Pour into saucepan and mix until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool 10 minutes.
- Blend sauce mixture using a hand immersion blender until sauce is a smooth consistency.
- Set aside and make pancakes.
- In a bowl: blend together oat flour, white whole wheat flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl: whisk together milk, egg, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Let it sit 10 minutes.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray or butter (coat between each pancake). Pour batter, ¼ cup at a time, into heated pan. Cook 1 minute. Flip pancake and cook additional 30 seconds or until cooked through.
- Enjoy pancakes with rhubarb sauce and sour cream or greek yogurt. Drizzle with maple syrup.
*you can make your own oat flour by placing rolled oats into a food processor or blender and pulsing until it turns into flour-like consistency.
More on the blog...
Apple Pie Cups I LOVE this time year. Not only does the weather get nice and breezy and the anticipation for boots, and scarves, and pumpkin, and all that is cozy is in the air - it’s also a month packed with action!!! And by action I mean holidays aka Rosh Hashanah...
Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats I can’t believe today is the last day of #RGNBreakfastWeek! I had such a fun time creating this for you guys. If you missed out on Breakfast Week - you can still get in on the action! Get my Recipe E-book: "Breakfast with Intention", ...
Carrot Cake Pancakes Hey, Friend! Breakfast Week over on Instagram has been so much fun this week! Have you checked your email yet? It’s Day 5 of #RNGBreakfastWeek and I’m talking all about mindfulness and setting intentions! I think this has to be my favorite topic...
Cherry Breakfast Smoothie Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it...
Mason Jar Omelete Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...
No-Bake Cereal Bars Want breakfast to be DOABLE? Do you want your mornings to be mindful, intentional and energizing - without all the stress? Get the Breakfast with Intention Recipe eBook which includes 7 delicious recipes, plus all my breakfast tips and how it can...