Sesame Carrot & Chicken Stir Fry
I’m always trying to find ways to sneak in veggies. Yes, I said sneak. Because sometimes getting all your daily vegetables in can be challenging. So incorporating them into dishes you love can make it that much easier.
I do this by adding spinach to my scrambled eggs, tossing roasted veggies with some grains, or making a nice big stir fry – like this one!
I replaced the pasta I would usually put with carrots for an extra boost of nutrients and fiber.
Most of us know that carrots are loaded with beta carotene. But here is a fun fact – did you know that your body is able to absorb more of the beta-carotene when you cook carrots?? Cool, right? At least I thought so, then again I’m kind of a nutrition nerd.
Point is, raw veggies are not the only way to go!
This stir fry is especially great for diabetics as the carrots replace the pasta and help to lower the overall carb content. One serving has just 25 grams of carbs, 21 grams of protein and 21 grams fat (healthy fats!!). This recipe makes 4 servings. It really packs in all that nutrition goodness and keeps you satisfied!
Give it a try! Once you do I would love to know how you enjoyed it in the comments below, or you can let me know on instagram – that’s also where I share some behind the scenes and additional motivation for a healthy and happy life, so if you don’t yet follow you can hang out with me on instagram here!
Also!! Excited to introduce to you my first collaboration with Kettle & Cord in order to bring you a delicious food video that shows you exactly how to make this Stir-Fry! I had such a great time working on this for you and I hope you enjoy it!
Sesame Carrot & Chicken Stir-Fry
- 4 heaping cups spiralized carrots (about 4 to 5 large carrots)
- 16 ounce bag frozen broccoli florets, chopped and squeeze excess water
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tbsp canola or avocado oil
- 2 cubes frozen garlic
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Toasted sesame for garnish
- Season cubed chicken cutlets with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and toss. Cook in a wide pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add spiralized carrots and crushed garlic to the pan (keep on medium heat). Toss and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped broccoli to pan. Toss and sauté 2 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and salt. Pour mixture over the carrots and broccoli.
- Sauté broccoli and carrots with the soy sauce mixture, occasionally tossing, for 8 minutes (until carrots begin to soften).
- Add the chicken and toss.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and cold water until cornstarch fully dissolves. Pour over stir fry and toss until the remaining liquid thickens.
- Pour the honey and red pepper flakes (optional) over the stir fry and toss until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with toasted sesame seeds, and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.
More on the blog...
Ep 108 Where Your Food Noise & Inner Body Bully comes from and How to Find Healing Within Yourself with Robin Gutman LSCW
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify Living with an inner critic in your mind that relentlessly makes you feel bad about your body.. That tells you how ‘bad’ you are for eating a slice of cake… That convinces you that you're weak, a failure, and not...
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify In this episode Rachel covers: The difference between eating with freedom and eating with intuition (and why the 2 get confused) When food freedom can turn into impulsive eating and red flags to look out for...
Yom Kippur (the holiest day in the Jewish year, which is also a fast day) is coming up next week! Fasting used to bring with it so much food stress and chaos before and after the fast (restriction can do that to ya!) Today, my preparations for the fast and how I...
How to know if you’re eating intuitively or impulsively – know the difference and learn how to stop impulsive eating
“Intuitive Eating doesn’t work for me, I just eat all the things and it doesn’t feel good.” Have you been feeling this way or have heard someone say this when you share the Intuitive Eating approach with them? Then brace yourself for a lightbulb moment: You’re...
Have you ever said about your body "I feel fat"? But not in a loving way. In a mean, disgusted, and maybe defeated way? It's time to get to the root of your bad body image thoughts. Maybe it was that moment where you ate too much chocolate and groaned, “ugh! I feel...
Ep 106 3 Things I’d do differently if I were starting my business from scratch – this will accelerate YOUR success
Subscribe and listen on: iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify The sooner you focus on the RIGHT things to build your business and work with dream clients, the sooner you’ll achieve that goal and live out your vision of success. Looking back, when I began my entrepreneur...